About This Opportunity
Strait Richmond Hospital (SRH) has a locum and full-time opportunities available for family medicine – emergency physicians. SRH serves the health care needs of the residents of communities in Richmond County and the southern portion of Inverness County. The facility has 15 medicine beds and 5 restorative care beds that provides inpatient, outpatient, and satellite care. The two regional referral centres for the area include Cape Breton Regional Hospital (located in Sydney – approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes from SRH) and St. Martha’s Regional Hospital (located in Antigonish – approximately 1 hour from SRH).
The site also houses a number of other interdisciplinary services:
- community based rehabilitation centre
- diabetes education
- diagnostic imaging
- emergency department
- foot care clinic
- laboratory services
- mental health & addictions services
- occupational therapy
- palliative care
- social work
The facility also has a number of visiting specialists:
- palliative care
- Duties include full scope of practice as an emergency physician providing care to patients within the eastern zone and participating in call.
- The physician will be responsible to the Zone Department Head for Emergency Medicine for their professional responsibilities and quality of practice, and will operate within the Medical Staff Bylaws of the Nova Scotia Health Authority.
- various shifts available
- flexible scheduling
- eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS)
- family physicians must be eligible for certification with the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)
- specialists must be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- membership with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- ATLS, ACLS, PALS and advanced Airway training are required
The community of Evanston is located in Richmond County, on the southern coast of scenic Cape Breton Island. Affordable housing, ocean views, easy access to beaches, hiking trails, and an array of outdoor activities make Evanston a great place to have a rewarding career and lifestyle! To learn more about what it’s like to work as a physician here, visit:
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That’s what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs. For information and to determine eligibility for Department of Health and Wellness Incentives, please contact Physician.Resources@novascotia.ca